This is the 19ft jet jet-boat we intend to use as a test bed for the Allison.
The output shaft spline is being cut. We should be ready for testing the N2 rotor brake this weekend!
Here is what the output shaft and brake system look like:
These are the major components. (excluding the master cylinder).
Update...Drive Kits for Sale!!!
I have built 3 more T63 drive kits like the one shown here. Two have been sold, but one remains in stock ready for immediate shipment.Contact Mark Nye of Mississauga, Ontario Canada for more information.
The drive kits have been a great success! I have produced a third batch and have more kits in stock.
The bearing Housing.
Here is how the bearing housing fits on the engine.
Cutting the output shaft spline.
This is the finished shaft with bearing and retainer.
The bearing and retainer were shrink fitted with dry-ice.
The brake rotor is 8 X 210mm dia.
This shows the bearing housing, caliper bracket and shaft installed.
The FZ750 rear brake caliper.
Here is the whole works ready to go. (just add drive-shaft)
The caliper side.
This system has been tested and works slick. The rotor (N2) can be easily stopped when the engine is at flight idle (60% N1) and as expected, the engine can be started with the rotor locked.
Here is my progress...
The engine frame in position in front of the pump.
In this photo, the engine is in the frame with the drive shaft installed. The whole unit is ready to be slid down toward the pump.
The engine is installed and coupled. The yellow piece is the rotor brake caliper, the red cylinder is the scatter-shield for the drive shaft.
Close-up of the scatter-shield.
The air intake is to the rear, just under the stern deck. I am still amazed every time I see just how small this engine is. It weighs just 135lbs plus the motor mount, about 750lbs less than the iron 454 it replaces.
This shot shows the oil tank and the exhaust stacks installed. The exhaust stacks are US air force countermeasures for heat-seeking missiles. The surfaces remain relatively cool even at full power.
The panel in the foreground (bottom center) is the relay/regulator board. I have used a battery isolator instead of the original aircraft reverse current relay.
Rear view of Squirt. Old 454 exhaust holes are blanked of with 14ga. stainless.
The flight deck.
Front view of squirt just before first run.
Me in the Squirt ready for the first run ever. Most of the interior is not installed yet.
The first sea trials in Lake Ontario just west of Toronto. (My first time driving a turbine jet boat!)
My brother Steve (right) let me drive his rear-engine dragster, so I let him drive my turbine jet boat. My good friend Kirk rides shot-gun.
This is why we call her Squirt! At 60 mph the rooster tail is about 150ft long. We get about 1 hour of hard running on 15 gal. of kerosene. Update: On a trip from our cottage in Gravenhurst to The NewArc Marina last weekend (20 km round trip), I burned 22.5 L of Jet A-1 (this includes docking) I was running around 50 mph, N1 92%, EGT 650C all the way.
Kirk and I spooling-up squirt for another blast. Here is what it sounds like.
Here is a video of Squirt 1 in action in Lake Ontario:
Squirt works great! The project is a total success!
Squirt was sold and squirt 2 is the next generation of fun in the water.
American Turbine, the only jet drive company you need to know about. Thanks for the help Ron.